blind spot

Sunday, December 12, 2004

What's Cookin

Well here it goes..im a bit lazy of writing everything from the start, about what had happened..so this is munirah's version of what happened...Fritz is me..because she call me by that name..actually both Shun Fujiwara and Fritz are not my real name..hehehe..well most of my friend knew me as Fritz..ehehehe

This is what she wrote "The next day saw me cooking a nice big bowl of vegetable soup, and when Fritz arrived the day after that, he cooked us lunch. A gold star for Fritz! We went marketing early in the afternoon for our planned pengat pisang and some other ingredients for his planned lauks. He was pretty much scatter-brained about what to cook. I asked him to just buy whatever and decide once we're back home.





And ayam masak pedas and ikan cili api oyster sauce serai it is. What do you know? Fritz cooks edible food and looks cute squatting down with a lesung in his hand. So while he cooked the food, I was busy trying to get ready the ingredients for my pengat pisang.. and we discovered that we don't have a sift. Actually we do. But it's freaking small. As usual, improvise. Used something else to perah the santan instead. Squeeze the coconut milk. Uh, some words in bm are better left untouched. When Fritz was done, it was my turn to cook. I didn't really cook actually. I shoved two terung (eggplants) into the microwave, fried some onions, tumbuk some cili and bawang putih, add sugar, vinegar, salt and ta-daahh! Done.


our lovely lunch

Next. We were bored. Fritz went "Do we have much energy left to do the pengat?" Shrugs accompanied his questions and he went on to play his Xenosaga2 while I went back to the kitchen and started cooking our pengat. If you notice, one of the pictures above showed gula melaka as one of the ingredients. I substitued that with gula kabung that was found in the fridge and boy.. It was well worth the switch. So I took a stool, and cooked. Poured the santan, add the sugar, let it boil, add the gula kabung, taste, and I was shocked. How the hell could I have cooked up such a nice kuah pengat at the very first try?? Overjoyed!!! +10 in Happiness! At that moment my friend, nothing on earth could replace the proudness that seeped into the every pore of me. Haha. Horns on my head.

Then, my mom came back. "Smells like something's cooking!" she hollered. She came in, marched to the kitchen, saw me, tasted my pengat, declared that my pengat's too sweet and added water and salt. Arrghh!! Good pengat is supposed to be sweet! But no, she didn't stop there. "Nirah, add the bananas now, kalau tak nanti your santan keluar minyak!", which I did, and she then proceeded to baling dua genggam sagu. "The sagu cepat kembang one-lah.." Warghhhhhhh.. Don't touch my masterpiece la. I know what I'm doing. And it turned out, the sagu was slow to kembang. So there I was worried about the bananas in the pot, takut hancur, and the sagu, was oh so very snail slow. Then she said "Eheh.. Sepatutnya rendam the sagu first." And then..



When she went away, I tambahkan a little bit of gula kabung and voila.. It turned out good. :) *does a jiggy* Fritz said that my pengat tastes like his nenek's. That's a compliment. Old folks usually dish up great great food with authentic ingredients. And now, all the pengat has gone into Fritz's intestines and I. He took 3 - 4 bowls of it, with his last bowl just a few minutes ago, and I took 2 bowls. One yesterday, one today. And it was good."






The meal that i cooked was Ayam Masak Merah , Ikan Steam, and Telur Sambal, u guys also can go and visit to her blog which is under my bloggers list..her link was named as Munirah